Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny Movie Review





















The first time I heard about Tenacious D was after my two friends got back from a Weezer concert here in Portland about 5 years ago. They said Jack Black had a band, and they were pretty funny, so I kept that in my head. Then, when the CD came out, I picked it up and loved it; I thought it was hilarious. My best friend Jake and I even had our own little Tenacious D cover band, if it can even be called that. Then, about a year ago, I heard they had a movie in the works, and as you can imagine, was totally stoked. Then last night, I finally saw it, with Jake of course.

That was just a general time line of my Tenacious D history. If you had a similar experience, then you would love this movie. If not, you won't. That's pretty much it. The story is pretty funny, albeit a shitty screenplay, but by the end of this movie, I was smiling from ear to ear. It brought me back to high school when Jake and I would exchange lyrics in the hallway. I wish there would have been some more elaborate references, homages I suppose, in the movie for cult fans, more than just showing Dio and having Lee be a stoned dumbass, but generally I was pleased. Only a fan could find this movie funny, and that's me, so I did.

On the Reganometer, I give this movie a 5 out of 10, and say, if you're a fan, you'll think it's fun and totally worth it, but if you're not, don't waste your time.

No comments:

Google