Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Doug Fir Lounge

Last night Ryan and I went to see the Smith Westerns at the Doug Fir. For those that don't know, the Doug Fir is a bar/restaurant/concert venue/hotel. Well, the hotel is the Jupiter Hotel, but it's basically attached. It's a cool little place with a very 50s-style lounge / log cabin feel and a pretty big concert hall downstairs. It's cool, check it out if you get a chance. Same goes for the Smith Westerns.

We got there early and sat at the bar upstairs for a while and had a few drinks until it was time to go downstairs. When we went to go down there, we had to get our ID's checked. It was a 21 and over show, but they gave us a stamp anyways. It was a huge stamp of a palm (on my right wrist). I think I even commented when the guy stamped it on that it was pretty large and in charge. Then we go to head down the stairs, and another guy takes our tickets and stamps our other wrists for that. This was a motorcycle (on my left wrist). At this point, I definitely turned to Ryan and said "this is some serious ink."

Now, aside from the fact that it was a 21+ show, so the guy taking the tickets could have also checked our IDs, that's not the lack of efficiency that bothered me most. It was the fact that it was a 21+ show and we got 2 stamps. One would work just fine right? Since getting in = I'm 21+. And then on top of that was the ridiculous size of these stamps. How much ink do they go through at this place? It holds about 250 people, and they have concerts at least 20 nights a week, so that's like 10,000 possible stamps just in one month!

Seems a little excessive, but I guess that's what my $3.50 High Lifes pay for...

No comments:

Google