Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'm #1 on Google!

Well, not really. But, I was #1 for a certain search phrase at the right time. It was kind of surprising too. Now, many websites live and die by their rank on Google for certain phrases. It drives a lot of traffic because it's the dominating search engine and performs billions of searches daily. I am not one of those sites, so I hadn't checked where I was ranked, besides searching for my name. I am signed up for Google Analytics, though, and was looking through it tonight ad nauseum, and noticed a few things:

  • Over the almost 2 years I've been using Google Analytics, about 43% of my traffic comes from search engines, almost all from Google
  • A substantial amount of this traffic visits only a few specific posts
  • I am on the front page of Google searches for a lot of keyword strings; some general and common, many not so much
  • Google Analytics is an amazing tool
Now, odds are if you search Google for exact titles of my posts, there will be many more top links, so that doesn't normally count. But this time was different, because my post title was kind of a common, almost generic keyword phrase.

I saw that my post about the Pabst casket was getting a lot of hits since I posted it, mostly from Google when the keyword phrase "pabst casket" was searched for. So, I figure I'm #9 or 10, and go check it out. When I searched for it, I was the top link! I didn't take a screenshot, unfortunately, and when I went back, I was #3.

But for one moment, I could defiantly say, I am #1 on Google!

(P.S. I am still #1 for "legs cut off roller-coaster" and I think I will stand undefeated for a while. That's a pretty specific string...)

No comments:

Google