Friday, February 18, 2011

Why I have a movie podcast with beer

Ladies and gentlemen, let me start by thanking you in advance for listening to this week's episode of Critical Drinking. We're watching D2: The Mighty Ducks and talking Top 5 Movies From My Childhood. It's our 47th episode coming up, and every single one has been more fun than the last. I love doing it, and I hope you enjoy listening to it.

Now, the reason for this post is because I have recently been embarrassed by my younger brother. He doesn't know it, but he should be proud of it. A little history:

In college my freshman year, not having declared a major yet, I took a spin around a few departments seeing what clicked for me and what didn't. Ultimately business and marketing were the obvious choice, but before that I dabbled in English. Yes, English. You wouldn't know it by the content on this blog, right? Well it wasn't English English, it was film studies English. I took 2 film classes that were technically English classes, and I think the way they got away with that was by making us write 2 big papers each term. The first class I took I loved. I was fascinated by the content, but not so keen on the papers. I managed to walk away with a B, no harm done. The second class was the same content-wise, but clearly more grueling English-wise, because I walked out of there with a C, visibly worse for wear. I learned a lot about film, and also learned English would not be my major.

A few years later, my younger brother is in school, and I hear he's taking the same classes. I knew how I did, but he seemed to think they were no big deal. And they weren't for him. Now he's in a 400-level film studies English class, and I hear last night he just got a 98/100 on his most recent paper, AND the professor nominated it for a student journal. Well shit, clearly you win.

So, little bro, you are better than me at film analysis, that much has been proven by you're 98% / A+ in a 400-level class. That is just a little bit better than my C in a 200-level class. However, could you write that paper... while drinking!? Could you orate it while drinking!? Maybe you could, who knows. I may not have the knowledge or English mastery that you seem to have, but I can do both of those things while drinking.

And that, my friends, is why I have a movie podcast with beer.

No comments:

Google