Saturday, December 23, 2006

Rocky Balboa Movie Review





















Today, I went and saw Rocky Balboa, a movie I've been wanting to see since it was announced, and I wasn't disappointed. The movie I was hoping for was a tribute to the Rocky character and a fitting ending for the legacy, and that's what I got. I think Stallone recognized that the audience for this movie wanted the chance to see Rocky back in action one final time, and he wrote a pretty good script accordingly. It really was a tribute to an American icon. The whole "one last chance" approach was great. I had those moments, like when the training music started playing and the training montage was going, or when the crowd was chanting "Rocky, Rocky!", that made me remember why I loved Rocky so much. The only thing bad about it was some of the acting (Rocky's son and the other boxer mostly), but the characters who really counted (Rocky and Pauly) were fantastic. Stallone was actually great. I loved him and the way he gave a real genuine personality to the character, and it helped to make the movie fun. It's nice to know that this great character was finally given a fitting ending.

On the Reganometer, I give this movie a 7 out of 10, and say, if you are a fan of the Rocky franchise, see it for sure. If you're not, you may think twice, and if you've never seen them (Hayley! I'm ashamed), you might want to see the original Rocky, the one that won Best Picture, and see if you like it first.

1 comment:

Zach Francis said...

I would say that this was a decent movie, maybe not up to par with Rocky I, II, and IV, but definately better than V, and in my opinion better than III (I also hated Clubber Lang and the idiotic Hogan story in Rocky III). Anyway, if this is the last Rocky movie it's a fitting end.

PS, I would recommend watching all of the Rocky movies before seeing this one (with the exception of V). The movie just throws out so many bones to long time fans you really need to see them all.

Google