Sunday, June 18, 2006

Movie Review: Nacho Libre

Nacho Libre














I was pretty speechless coming out of this movie. I really didn't know what to think of it. It was such a far reach from the mainstream filmmaking we're used to, that I was confused almost. The first thought I had was it really felt like a Jared Hess movie. I mean, he's only done 1 other movie, Napoleon Dynamite, so how can I say that right? But it just felt like him. I'm not saying this movie was just like Napoleon Dynamite, because it really wasn't, but you could see that influence in it. Hopefully you get me; you will if you see it.

Like I said, it was just odd. There were so many scenes that were so out of place and random that I got distracted. I know this wasn't made around a plot, but still. Don't get me wrong, it was funny. If anything, it was funny. It got the same laughs Napoleon Dynamite did and then some. Those out of place scenes were used mostly for a cheap laugh, and they worked. You laughed because you didn't understand. There were other jokes, aimed at the 7-year-olds, but who doesn't still laugh at those? There were so many odd images that just made you take a step back and go "...what?!". In my opinion, too many of those, but whatever, I laughed anyways.

Now, this being the second movie by Jared Hess, it will not come close to Napoleon Dynamite in popularity or longevity. It won't hold a candle to its replay value, because there really isn't any in Nacho in my opinion. I will say that Jack Black is the only one that could have done this movie, and it benifited from him. He has no shame, and will do anything for a laugh. He did a great job, and as odd as this movie was, I think it will only help his career. Seriously, how many other actors could star in a dramatic role in King Kong and put on this kind of a performance? It will be interesting to see what he does next.

Speaking of which, Jared Hess has made a name for himself now, be it good or bad, but if he makes another movie like his last 2, I think I might get sick of him. He's got a unique style. He's not afraid to insult for the sake of amusement. He is not afraid to film the ugliest person you've ever seen head-on, and make it seem ok. He's got a subtle, almost objective quality in his humor, and I like that, but I think it would be effective in other ways as well. Maybe in a movie about real people, or at least not the extreme outcasts. We'll see what happens.

Last thing: I enjoyed Jack Black's homage to Rocky after he won his last fight. You know, the little jump-with-fist-extended-upwards to the one-knee-fist-pump-while-looking-down. It's obviously a Rocky thing, but who knows if it was written in or just one of Jack Black's ad-libs. Either way, I liked it.

So, to rate this on the Reganometer, I give it a:

3 Kevins





I thought it was good, and worth seeing at least once, but after that, when the cheap laughs die, it turns into a mediocre movie.

2 comments:

cody said...

Nacho Libre: Jared Hess's Second Outing

I agree with most of what Kevin had to say about this movie. It was decent, definately worth the price of admission. It wasn't as good nor will it have the lasting impact of Napolean Dynamite. (for better or worse Napolean will become a defining cult classic film for our generation, mark my words future filmakers will cite that movie as inspiration for their own work)
Jack Black was funny in his role as Nacho and Hess imbued this film with his unique and under stated humor. But I doubt this is a movie I will buy once it comes out on DVD, atleast right away because I want to see what Hess does.
What really struck me about the movie was Hess cinemagraphic eye. So much of the movie is shot in Hess's nontraditional style; not a single frame of the shot is wasted, indeed the shot is bursting at it's seems. there is a usually a photograph like contrast between the background and foreground. interesting and softspoken props fill the background.
it's all very Wes Anderson and I love it. I can't help but wonder what it would be like if Hess tried to make a different kind of movie.

Kevin said...

You know, I have thought Jared Hess has a lot of Wes Anderson influence since I saw Napoleon Dynamite, what with his static shots and the way he frames his shots; all the way down to the way they both introduce their movies, that overhead shot with things moving in and out of the shot. I love Wes Anderson, he is by far my favorite new director, and I think Jared Hess only benefits from the similarities. However, like you mentioned, as Jared Hess keeps making movies, he's going to have to distinguish himself from Napoleon Dynamite or he's never going to get anywhere. He has to do something different next time around that builds on his movie-making, and is not just a shadow it, as I felt this was in danger of with Napoleon Dynamite.

Google