Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Lists

It's List Time


















You know, I've been watching movies, moving all my DVDs from their cases to a big binder, and listening to music ALL day long. The breaks I took were to eat and go to Best Buy. Figures right? Well, all that exposure to media has got me in the mood to do what I've wanted to do for a long time, and that is make lists. Yeah, sounds real great doesn't it? But I'm talking about a list of my favorite movies, music, etc. As of right now, the list is just a thought, so I haven't started formulating any lists yet, and honestly don't know where I'm going to start, because I don't even know what my favorite movies are. But regardless, it's late (or early I guess), and I'm bored, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm going to try and be as honest with myself as possible, and try not to second guess myself or I won't get anywhere. I'll start with a list that I think will be the easiest for me to make:

Top 5 Musical Artists:

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Relient K
4. Brad Paisley
5. My Chemical Romance


Next comes a list that is inspired by that last one, and it will be much harder to feel set about, but I'm going to try:

Top 5 Beatles Songs:

1. Let It Be
2. A Day In The Life
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. All You Need Is Love
5. Hey Jude


Now we go into the world of movies. All the stuff I'm listing is from movies I have seen, and there are some good ones I haven't seen, so pardon me if I'm a bit swayed, especially towards more recent movies. Oh, and it's all personal opinion of course, that's why you won't see Citizen Kane on any lists (often heralded as the best movie ever).

Top 10 Favorite Movies:

1. Dumb And Dumber
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. V For Vendetta
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
6. Orange County
7. Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King
8. Pulp Fiction
9. The Godfather
10. City Of God

This was the hardest one I think. There are SO many movies that I really do LOVE, so it's hard to narrow it down, and this list is, naturally, the most likely to change a lot. I could feel different about it tomorrow even, but right now, this is what it looks like. By no means does this explain my idea of "good movies", because many don't fall into that catagory, but none the less, they are my favorites. Don't like 'em? Give me your list.

This is the last list of the night, because it's pushing sunrise and I want to get a tiny bit of sleep.

Top 5 Movie Themes/Songs:

1. Main Theme - Star Wars - John Williams
2. Main Theme - Indiana Jones - John Williams
3. Main Theme - Jurassic Park - John Williams
4. Now We Are Free - Gladiator - Lisa Gerrard/Hans Zimmer
5. The Wings - Brokeback Mountain - Gustavo Santaolalla


In my opinion, when you hear those themes, you are immediately taken straight into the movie. Sorry to Hayley for leaving Howard Shore/Enya off the list. The music was great, but there wasn't as memorable a theme as the rest of these. I personally think my #5 is one of the most perfect matches to the movie that I've ever heard outside of John Williams, but would feel weird putting it any higher than it is, the other 4 are pretty much ledgendary.

So there you have it folks, the initial lists are complete. I'm sure they'll be changed sooner or later, but they're on the books for now. Now I want to know what your lists look like. They're fun, they take 5 minutes, and they're something to do when you can't sleep.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving me something to read. I enjoyed your lists! And yeah Howard Shore kicks ass thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

I find Hey Jude to be whiny, but it is a classic. If you expand the list to top 10, I would suggest Revolution 1 and Here Comes the Sun.

Zach Francis said...

Man, how can you not even mention a hip hop artist in the top five all time. If not the Jigga man then Kanye West at least. Seriously, Jay-Z has changed the entire landscape of music in the last ten years and continues to do so through his former protege Kanye (who might have already surpassed him) even though Jigga's supposedly retired. I know you're more of a rock and country guy but you at least gotta represent the hood. ZJ the DJ (my new hip-hop persona) out.

Kevin said...

I can easily leave a hip-hop artist off my own personal top 5. It's my top 5. If I was to make any kind of addition, it would be Kings Of Leon or The Living End or some other artists I like, not Jay-Z or Kanye.

Zach Francis said...

you bastard, that is all

cody said...

have you seen high fidelity? it's probably mynumber one favorite movie that features lists. probably john cusacks best movie. if you haven't watch it. then lets open up a movie store and see what happens.

Kevin said...

To Brett, "Now We Are Free" is the theme song to Gladiator. It plays at the end when the black guy is in the colusium praying, talking to Maximus. It's a great song.

To Cody, I'm almost offended. Of course I've seen High Fidelity, probably 20 times. It is a great movie, and clearly the best with lists, at least the best I can think of right now, and is a classic John Cusack. His best? That's hard to say. He played the same guy in every movie. But still want to open a moview store? If you know anything about me and movies, I'm in.

Google