Monday, January 29, 2007

It's Oscar season!





















The Oscars are less than a month away, and I'm getting excited because I think this was a pretty darn good year in movies. So, as many do, I'm going to give you my Oscar picks. I'll list the categories (I care about), who's nominated, and then highlight who I think will win in bold, and then who I think should win in italics. Then, when the Oscars come, you all can mock me because of how many I got wrong. Here we go.

Best Picture:
Babel
The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

Actor in a Leading Role:
Leonardo DiCaprio – Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling – Half Nelson
Peter O’Toole – Venus
Will Smith – The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker – The Last King of Scotland

Actor in a Supporting Role:
Alan Arkin – Little Miss Sunshine
Jackie Earle Haley – Little Children
Djimon Hounsou – Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy – Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg – The Departed

Actress in a Leading Role:
Penélope Cruz – Volver
Judi Dench – Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren – The Queen
Meryl Streep – The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet – Little Children

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Adriana Barraza – Babel
Cate Blanchett – Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin – Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson – Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi – Babel

Directing:
Babel - Alejandro González Iñárritu
The Departed - Martin Scorsese
Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood
The Queen - Stephen Frears
United 93 - Paul Greengrass

Achievement in Cinematography:
The Black Dahlia - Vilmos Zsigmond
Children of Men - Emmanuel Lubezki
The Illusionist - Dick Pope
Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo Navarro
The Prestige - Wally Pfister

See a full list of nominees here.

So that's what I think. What about you guys? Any categories I didn't include that are worth talking about? Tell me what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't disagree with your picks. I think they are all reasonable and in fact, very likely. The further down you get into the technical categories the harder it gets however.

Kevin said...

Yeah, that's why I didn't bother to get into those. I'm a fan of cinematography, but not so much art direction or costume design or anything. But we'll see on Oscar night.

Zach Francis said...

I can't really comment on all of the categories since I haven't seen all of the movies (out of the list of nominated movies I've seen The Departed, Blood Diamond, Little Miss Sunshine, Children of Men, and United 93) but I will say if The Departed doesn't win best picture I will be pissed. It might have surpassed Braveheart as my all time favorite movie.

Google