Monday, January 29, 2007

My record collection grows!












If you all ready my blog around Christmas time, you know I got a record player. If you didn't, hey, guess what? I got a record player for Christmas! So, now that I have one, I need to get some records, right? Well, today, when I came home from work, I found that my record collection had almost doubled in size! How could this be you ask? Well, it's easy when you start out with a mere 3 records. That's right folks, before today I had a 3-record record collection. Pretty amazing. But hey, I figure my generation missed vinyl pretty much entirely, so I have to search for it.

That's where eBay comes in! The 3 previous albums were from eBay, and wouldn't you know it, the 2 new ones I got today were too! The first 3 I got were all Beatles: Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, and Let It Be. 3 great albums. And then today, right on my doorstep were Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Punch The Clock and ELO's Greatest Hits. I've listened to both of them, Elvis Costello twice, and I love them! I think the clicks and pops and all the sounds you get from vinyl really helps in the enjoyment too.

So now that I have 5 do I stop? Oh no, in fact, I've got 7 more on their way! How can he afford this you ask? Well, it's easy when on eBay I can buy an album for $7.50, shipping included. Yeah, that's cheaper than a CD, that's cheaper than iTunes, that's just flat out cheap. So, it's pretty much awesome. What 5 new albums are on the way you ask? Well, there's another Beatles album: Meet the Beatles, and then there's the Rolling Stones - Some Girls, Led Zeppelin II, The Who - Tommy, and then 3 Kinks albums that I paid a total of $7.74 for. Yeah, about $2.50 each, wow. Those 3 are Sleepwalker, Give The People What They Want, and their Greatest Hits. By no means are those their best, but come on, that cheap, I had to snag them. So in the next couple of weeks, my collection will more than double, and I'm going to love it. Here's what it will be soon:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Revolver
The Beatles - Let It Be
The Beatles - Meet The Beatles
ELO - ELO's Greatest Hits
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Punch The Clock
The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
The Who - Tommy
The Kinks - Sleepwalker
The Kinks - Give The People What They Want
The Kinks - Greatest Hits

Will I stop there? Well, yeah, for a while, because 1) I'm not made of money and 2) I'll have 7 new albums to listen to. But I can't stop, because I have no Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen. I just had to let you all know though, even though you're record collections may dwarf mine (Dad, Zach) I'm still excited to be building. Thanks for reading and pretending to care.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean pretending? I actually do care. Sounds like your enjoying the process. Why do I have this nagging feeling that my record collection will be diminishing in the future, like my Ben Kweller CD, and my Frank Sinatra 3 CD set? And mine should be in good shape.

Kevin said...

Ok, Ok, I get it, but you got your Sinatra CDs back! And I haven't "borrowed" any of your records. But, now that I know that they're in good shape... :) HAHA!

Zach Francis said...

There's a couple of greatest hit type albums that you can pick up on the cheap either on eBay or at Everyday Music (if you have them in Eugene) that I'd recommend. Aerosmith Greatest Hits and History of Eric Clapton, you should be able to get both for a couple bucks each. A good way to build up a record collection on the cheap is through greatest hits albums since they are mass produced, it means you get some quality songs on vinyl at a very reasonable price.

Kevin said...

Just got The Stones "Some Girls" today.

Anonymous said...

I doubt I'll ever play my records since I don't plan on buying a turntable, so with alittle bit of the classic Kevin persistence, I'm sure you could persuade me to open it up to you.

D

Kevin said...

Well, I do believe my birthday is coming up, so if there was ever a more symbolic day to turn some of those babies loose, that might be the day... :) And then my children will steal them from me, and their children will steal them from them, and so on... haha.

Anonymous said...

There you go....I knew you'd come up with some persuasive logic.

Chris Parr said...

That is so weird. I know you wrote this a long time ago but I too have been starting to collect records and believe it or not the first three records I bought (this summer) were none other than Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, and Let it Be. Small world.

Google