Saturday, June 02, 2007

Knocked Up Movie Review

Like I said I was going to in the last post, I saw Knocked Up tonight, and I loved it. Going in, I knew it was getting great reviews (it's at 91% right now with 129 total reviews, but the "Cream of the Crop" is 97%), but it lived up to and surpassed my expectations, and I'll tell you why.

First of all, this is the second offering from Judd Apatow, the first being 40 Year-Old-Virgin, and while that was great, you really couldn't say for sure if that would continue into his second movie. Well, it did, and in my opinion, this was better than 40 Year-Old-Virgin. Way better.

First of all, the dialogue is perfect, the story is solid and totally believable, the characters and the actors who play them do a great job, and the jokes and laughs are so, so well done. The movie keeps you laughing the entire time. It's just a great movie, and I think one of its biggest strengths, probably its biggest, is how honest it all is. The combination of Apatow's writing and Seth Rogan's acting really lend authenticity to the whole thing. Plus, it's hillarious!

Now, this is a good movie, but I think its biggest hurdle is its title and marketing. I'm sure they know this, and looking back it helps with the whole honesty theme, like "we're naming it this because we want to and think it's funny and don't care what anyone says", but it is such a better movie than its title gives it credit for. For instance, I can see plenty of people seeing the poster and hearing the title, and being turned off thinking it's just another stupid comedy, even though if they saw it they would like it. Regardless of what your opinion of "stupid comedy" is, I don't think this is one, and it actually does a good job appealing to all audiences. If my brother, Mom, and Dad all saw it, I bet all 3 of them would really like it, because it's just a good movie. It drifts into the realm of romantic comedy in the same way 40 Year-Old-Virgin did, which isn't a bad thing, comedy definitely comes first in this film, but it does a great job making you care about the characters and have all those "feelings" and stuff. Anyways, enough babbling.

On the Reganometer, I give this movie a 9 out of 10, and say everyone should go see it. I loved it, it was the funniest movie I've seen all year, one of the best overall, and I think no matter who you are, you'll like it.

No comments:

Google