Sunday, June 03, 2007

Open Your Ears: Dr. Dog

Don't be fooled by the name; Dr. Dog is not a hip hop group, although they get that a lot. They are an indie band out of Philidelphia that is quickly rising in popularity, and they just put out their fourth album titled We All Belong. Aside from getting judged by their name, these guys have been compared to acts like The Zombies, The Band, and even The Beatles, and the fact is none of those comparisons are too far off. They are very talented singers/songwriters/musicians with eccentric personas and a 60's/70's sound to go along with it.

On first listen, I realized how true these comparisons I had read about were: the song "Alaska" could be mistaken for a track The Band put out in their early days, "My Old Ways" sounds like an early 60's experiment with key changes, and "We All Belong" sound like it could be a demo for The Beatles' "Fool On A Hill". All very reminiscent of that sound. I like everything I've heard from them, but I've posted my three favorites, and playlisted my favorite. Take a listen:

Alaska

My Old Ways

We All Belong

No comments:

Google