Monday, October 31, 2011

Fantasy Football has become an obsession

I really am not that big a fan of the NFL. I don't have a favorite team, my favorite players are generally just former Ducks, and the only NFL gear I have is an old Randy Moss jersey Ryan gave me back in College. However, every Sunday, I follow the NFL like crazy. All because of Fantasy Football.

Sitting on the couch in front of my TV with NFL Sunday Ticket's Red Zone Channel pumping all the best plays into my living room with no commercials, the DirecTV Player Tracker TV app tracking the performance of all my players, my computer open with the Live Stat Tracker tracking the performance of all my teams, and my ESPN Fantasy Football app open on my phone just so I can have all my players at my finger tips.

I get pumped when any of my fantasy players do well. Like, physically pump my fist or jump off the couch. And why? Because they scored me points. Not because I care about the game itself. I could care less about the games, or division records, or even the early playoff games that happen after my leagues end even. It's all about the fantasy leagues. And it's an obsession. I think I'm addicted.

Obviously, this has to make the NFL so happy. Fringe fans like me that become raving fans without them really having to do anything? That's any marketing department's dream. But they have done a great job creating things to love about the NFL aside from the games themselves. Or at least cultivating those things. In Those Guys Have All The Fun, the book that explores ESPN from the inside out, they discuss the NFL contract negotiations and how important the NFL is to the success of a sports network. However, it's such an expensive contract because of the built in mega-audience with a rock solid demo that the networks end up having to build their entire week around it to drive ad dollars. And the NFL just keeps getting stronger.

But for me, the beauty of the NFL is in the fantasy league. Or in my case, leagues. I am in 5 this year. But only one is a cash league. Because for me, it's not really about the money, it's about the bragging rights. And NFL fantasy is built so perfectly. Having one match up a week so it's not too overwhelming, and having one day a week where you can sit there and get instant gratification throughout the day as the points grow. Then, of course, the trash talk with friends is so key as well. It all just boils down into such a nice, neat package that has me addicted.

And by the way, I won my match up in 3 of 5 leagues this week. The 3 I won all happened to be against Allen. Talk about bragging rights.

No comments:

Google