Wednesday, June 07, 2006

6.6.06




















Well, apparently this date was a good omen for the movie of the same name. "The Omen", a remake of the 1976 original starring Gregory Peck, set a Tuesday opening-day record pulling in $12.6 million at the box office nationwide. The record was originally held by "Ali" which made $10.2 million on Christmas Day of 2001. The original 1976 version came out 3 years after "The Exorcist", arguably the scariest movie of all-time, and rode its coat tails into fame. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it definitely played on the "child horror" theme at the time. (Other movies like "Carrie" and "Rosemary's Baby" came out in that 3 year period). I believe this remake is similar, riding the string of bad horror movies into the spotlight. I dare not say fame yet, as it's been out a day and a half. Anyways, it's coming out a year after "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" which I personally thought was scary, and all those other bad movies ("The Hills Have Eyes", "Silent Hill", "An American Haunting", and of course, my favorite, "See No Evil"). I must say though, I think the 6/6/6 gag brought in most of the people who are going to see this movie. I can see $12.6 turning into $22.6, and that's about it. I will wait until it comes to the $1 theater here, but that's only because it's $1. Otherwise, I wouldn't see it.

If you've seen it, please let me know how it was. It's getting a 32% on Rotten Tomatoes (click picture to get there), but horror movies hardly ever get good reviews, so I don't base my judgement on that. Let me know.

No comments:

Google