Monday, October 02, 2006

Putting the "douche" back in fiduciary

Facebook: the online community that is getting more and more creepy to be a part of... kind of like MySpace. Regardless, I still find ways of using it to amuse myself. One of those ways recently has been by creating a group that anyone is free to join, and I feel expresses my feelings about the first week of one of my classes pretty adequately. The group is titled "BE 325: Putting the "douche" back in fiduciary". I'm referring to my business law class in which we had to read an entire chapter on fiduciary duties and will continue to come back to throughout the term. Now, don't get me wrong, fiduciary duties are important to business.

For those of you who aren't fortunate enough to have learned them yet, they are duties that every member of every business is legally required to adhere to, whether mailboy or CEO. If they breach these duties or fail to adhere to them, they can be punished in a court of law (see Enron). These duties bind the corporation and its members to a fiduciary relationship which, by definition, is a relationship based on trust and confidence. Essentially, these duties are set forth to handle some of the unethical practices in business. The duties are:

  • Good faith
  • Due care
  • Giving notice of all information
  • Loyalty
  • Obedience
  • Accounting for all assets

  • Are these duties pretty vague? Probably. Are they legally binding? Certainly. So, you may be able to imagine some of the reasons that "douche" would work itself in nicely. Anyways, here's how my Facebook group looks:

























    Click it to see a larger view.

    If you have a Facebook account, I suggest you join. There are only a modest 6 members so far, but hey, we're passionate. I think you have to be an Oregon student, but whatever. Anyways, I have to go read another douching chapter of this douching book. Goodnight.

    No comments:

    Google