Monday, April 09, 2007

Top Gear (with British hosts) may come to the U.S.

Top Gear is the incredibly popular BBC automotive show that had 8 million people watching it's season finale this year, and the BBC has reported that there are plans to bring the show to the U.S. again. They tried it once, but as a replication of the British version with different hosts, and it didn't catch on. This time, the plan is to incorporate American cars and celebrities into the British show format, and hopefully appeal to American audiences better.

While there hasn't been anything confirmed yet, I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up. I loved the show the few times I saw it on the Speed Channel back when we had the free preview. It's very well done and the hosts are extremely knowledgeable about and good at what they're doing. While the hosts do tend to dog the American auto industry (and Americans in general), maybe getting up close and personal with a few of the greats will change their minds. Or, better yet, why not just syndicate the British version on the Discovery Channel like they used to? I don't care, I just want to watch it.

[via Autoblog]

No comments:

Google