Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Verizon Voyager, my new TV, and Call of Duty 4

This post is going to be kind of a mash-up of 3 things: my feelings about the Verizon Voyager after about a month of having it, my new HDTV, and the game Call of Duty 4 on Xbox 360.

First, the Voyager. I got this phone for Christmas after having the bottom of the barrel Verizon phones before that so, needless to say, it was a big upgrade. You can see it there in my grubby little paw. After I took it out of the box, I immediately loved it. The touch screen, the full QWERTY keyboard, the sleek black look, everything was great. But really, I didn't know any better. Now that I have had it for a month, I have used it and gotten to know it and have a better overall impression of the phone, so I think I can accurately assess it.

I still love it, for all the reasons I mentioned and more, but I also have some gripes. But first, the good stuff. I really like the touch screen. It's surprisingly sensitive and responsive, and while it's not quite as good (or big) as the iPhone, it can get away with it because of the full keyboard. On the iPhone, the touch screen is the only interface you have, but on the Voyager you can use either the touch screen or the buttons on the inside. The features are great in general, as well as intuitive, and easy to access through multiple pathways. There is a lot of customization features to make the phone work the way you want it, so I like that to. I also like the size. It's big enough for me to be able to handle it easily, but small enough to be in my pocket and not bother me. The camera is great too, for the most part. Text messaging is great and easy, both from the front or inside, and the full web browser is really cool. I access that at least once a day.

The gripes: I don't like that you can't customize the icons on your home screen on the touch screen. There are some icons I use tons, and some I never use, and I would like to be able to pick and choose what I wanted on there. I hate that I can't upload music to use as ringtones. I understand why from a rights management standpoint, but I'm pretty sure the VX9900 could make its own ringtones, so I don't understand why this one can't (it's the VX10000). Cell phones are so locked down it's ridiculous. I also wish that, when I'm talking on the phone, the keypad would come up on the touch screen so that I didn't have to go through a bunch of menus to find it if I need it. That's really the only thing I need while on the phone, so that would be nice. The last thing is that the camera doesn't have a flash, so it sucks in the dark, but I can get over that. I have a camera.

This thing has been with me pretty much 24/7 since I got it, and I try to keep it in really good shape, but I've already dropped it once. Only once, but that was enough to scratch up the front and a little bit of the screen border. It's only cosmetic damage, and it's minor, but still, it sucks.

Now, on to the new TV. After the infamous break-in, I found that I was fully covered under my dad's home insurance, so I would be getting reimbursed for the stolen items. I decided that, instead of replacing all 225 CDs taken that I didn't much listen to anyway, I would treat myself to a new TV. I got a 42" 1080p TV that I absolutely love and have no regrets about. Well, except that I don't do anything besides watch it now. I don't consider that a problem.

But really, it's only a TV. What matters isn't the TV, it's the content that will look good on the TV. So, aside from the Comcast HD box I have hooked up to it (that doesn't have an HDMI port and only broadcasts in 1080i), I have my Xbox 360. Now, the 360 was pretty much built for HD. It has an HDMI port as well as an HD-DVD add-on player and a big catalog of games that play in full 1080p. So, I have it hooked up with the HDMI cable, I have the HD-DVD player, and Call of Duty 4 is one of those games in 1080p. And my GOD does it look incredible! Holy shit you have to see it, it is a whole different type of gaming when it looks this clear and crisp. Not to mention the game is great.

The single player game in Call of Duty 4 might be the most enjoyable I've ever played. Other games are good, and in some cases not so good but still revered (Halo 3), but this one is amazing. The amount of depth of each mission, the variance in missions, the accuracy, the playability, all top notch. My favorite level was the ghillie suit level. I think it was the most fun I've had in a level of a video game. It was awesome. I'll probably play it again, and again. Then more.

The only thing I didn't like about the game was the length. It was a very short game, and when I just sit for hours and play it, that really shows. I haven't tried multi-player, and might not as Halo 3 is king of multi-player, but I assume it's good.

So there you go, that's my rant on that crap. Hope y'all liked it. Now call me and come over to play Call of Duty with me on my new TV.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I have the same phone and I like it quite a bit. I bought the MobileMate SD+ Memory card reader from Verizon. This allows you to take the SD card out of your phone, stick it into an adapter for the card reader, and then stick the whole thing into your computer's USB port (I have a Mac, by the way. From there I drag and drop my ringtone files (which I made myself and save as mp3s) into the /sounds folder for the phone. I have lots of ringtones now- songs and other sounds. The only thing I don't like is that I cannot individualize the message ringtone as I could with my previous LG phones. Whatever sound you choose as an SMS/MMS alert applies to all messages. You can individualize the call ringtones though, thank goodness. I wish I could remember how much I paid for the USB and card package- I'm thinking around $50 but I can't swear to it.

Google